Registering with HMRC for the first time

Registering with HMRC for the first time

If you decide to work for yourself, you are called a sole trader. A sole trader must register for Tax and National Insurance. A trader is someone that sells, makes items or offers a service for profit.

Working for yourself means being responsible for your company’s accounts. You must also make sure you fill in the correct paperwork and make any tax, vat and national insurance payments, on time.

As soon as you start your business, you should register as self-employed with HMRC. The latest date for registration is October 5th in the second year of your businesses tax year. How to register depends on whether you have paid self-assessment tax before.

If you find the process time consuming or difficult, get in touch with SQK Accountancy, in Manchester and they can help you through the entire process of registering for self-employment.

A New Trader who has Never sent in Tax Before

Register yourself as a new business, you can do this online. You go through to the site and when you have read the descriptions of the types of services which you can and can’t use, you click on create a registration account and then you follow the instructions. The registration includes the Self- Assessment tax return and the register for National Insurance.

A New Trader who has Paid Tax Previously

Firstly, you will need to find your ten- digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), the number will be on any old tax returns or your online account. Then you need to register using form CWF1, which will also register you for National Insurance. You can fill in the form online and print it off, or register by email.

An Ex-Trader who wants to Trade Again

Like a new trader who has paid tax previously, you will need to fill in form CWF1 and have your ten-digit UTR number available. You will also be registered for National Insurance and the form can be filled in online and printed off, or sent by email.

The whole process should take about ten days, as you will need to wait for an activation code to come through the post.

SQK Accountancy in Manchester can help sole traders and small businesses with all aspects of accounting, including registration for self- employment. We are a friendly firm offering a competitively priced service. If you would like to get in touch with us, fill out the contact form on our website, or ring us on

No Comments

Post A Comment